Image Map

Chicken Mulligatawny the EASY way!

Do you want a delicious hearty soup on a cold winter day? That's what I was craving today. I love Pioneer Woman's recipes so I decided to make a version of here Easy Mulligatawny with a twist. A very long time ago I worked at The Old Spaghetti Factory and on Thursday's they have an amazing version of this Indian soup. It's by far, the best one I have ever had, however I can't remember the entire recipe. I do know it is very similar to Pioneer Woman's so here is what I did…
1. Saute' Onion and Garlic in Olive Oil. Add salt and Pepper to taste. Once everything softens, add 2T of curry powder. 2. Add 8 cups of chicken broth and 2 cans of diced tomatoes and bring to a boil. 3. Add 3 peeled Granny Smith apples, chopped up and 2 cups of diced or shredded chicken and reduce to a simmer. 4. Let cook for as long as you want, today I let mine simmer for a couple of hours. 5. When it's time to serve, add 2 cups of quick cooking rice and a splash of half and half or whipping cream. 6. It's ready when the rice is done. Add as much or as little cream as you like.
The awesome thing about this recipe is that you can modify it. If you love the apples, add more, if they are not your thing, then you can omit them(I don't recommend it). My guy likes it hearty and meaty so I add extra chicken. You can toss in raw chicken or use a rotisserie chicken.
The soups is really quite simple to make, preparation in all is 10-15 minutes. The apples add suck a unique twist. If you are thinking your family will freak out about the apples, tell them they are potatoes. My family can't tell the difference. This is one of those beautiful recipes that no matter how much you customize, it will still be delicious. Now, when you reheat it, expect it to be thick and stew like. You can serve it like this (my favorite way), or you can chicken broth to soup it up again.
Grocery List 1 Onion, 6 Garlic Cloves, 2 Cans of diced tomatoes, 3-5 Granny smith Apples, Small carton of Whipping Cream or Half and Half, 1 whole Rotisserie chicken, Rice, and Chicken Broth.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. I worked at Spaghetti Factory in the early 90's and always loved this soup. This recipe was as close as I could have hoped to find and tasted excellent.
    The family loved it, and we're looking forward to the leftovers after it's had time to chill and set up overnight.
    Just a note that I used one can of 28 oz. diced tomatoes with water half drained, and this seemed like the perfect amount of tomato.

    ReplyDelete